Have you ever wondered how to make your favourite festive drink at home? We have the answer! We have put together three festive favourite drink recipes and made them low in sugar, vegan friendly and packed full of gut healthy goodness by using our Troo Spoonful of Fibre Inulin Syrups. They are all super quick and easy to make from home, which is perfect for saving some pennies before the big day.
Pumpkin Spice Latte
There are many gut health benefits to the spices that make up Pumpkin Spice, which traditionally consists of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. Cinnamon is known for tightening, toning, and healing gut damage, whilst Ginger is a prokinetic which helps control acid reflux and stimulate bowel movement. To find out more about the gut health benefits of Pumpkin Spice, check out our Paleo Pumpkin Spice Muffins recipe.
- 2 cups plant-based milk
- 2 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1 to 3 tbsp Troo Pure Spoonful of Fibre Inulin Syrup, depending on how sweet you like it
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves
- 1/2 cup strong hot coffee
- Whipped coconut cream, for serving
- Add milk, pumpkin puree and Troo Inulin Syrup to a saucepan over medium heat. Heat until hot, but do not boil.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract, spices and the coffee.
- Divide the mixture between two mugs. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of extra spices.
Chai Hot Chocolate
This delicious Chai Hot Chocolate recipe can be made extra chocolatey by using our Troo Chocolate Spoonful of Fibre Inulin Syrup, which contains 8g of fibre per serving and just 1.3g of sugar, as well as half the calories of sugar! Adding a variety of spices to your favourite hot drinks is a great way to boost your gut health as they all have different benefits. For example Cardamom, which has grown in popularity with the Chai Latte craze, is said to balance excess mucus, gas and bloating in the stomach and small intestine. A little goes a long way which is why we recommend only using a pinch!
- 2 cups plant-based milk
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon and ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice and nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cardamom and ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp Troo Chocolate Spoonful of Fibre Inulin Syrup
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Splash of hot water
- Place the milk and Troo Chocolate Inulin Syrup in a saucepan on medium heat.
- Mix the spices and cocoa powder in a cup and add a splash of hot water, mixing until it becomes a paste.
- Place this in with the milk and stir well. Leave to warm up on a gentle simmer.
- Place the coconut cream and Troo Pure Inulin Syrup in a bowl, mix with a hand held mixer (or whisk) until fluffy and whipped.
- Pour the chai hot chocolate into mugs, top with the whipped cream and decorate with extra spices or cocoa powder.
One for the adults on a cosy evening in. We have a whole blog post dedicated to the correlation between Red Wine and Gut Health, I know we couldn't believe it either! Studies have shown that Red Wine drinkers have a more diverse microbiome than non-red wine drinkers, which is a sign of good gut health. Combined with a mixture of spices and our Troo Spoonful of Fibre Inulin Syrup, this mulled wine recipe makes for the perfect, gut healthy festive treat!
- ½ tsp allspice and whole cloves
- 2 tsp cardamom seeds
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ½ inch fresh ginger
- 2 whole lemons
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 whole oranges
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 4 cups red wine
- Troo Spoonful of Fibre Inulin Syrup, to taste
- Start by juicing both lemons and oranges.
- In a medium saucepan, warm orange and lemon juice. Toss in a few of the squeezed rinds of both the lemon and orange. Add cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice and cardamom. Whole spices are better for this recipe, instead of powder. Simmer for 10 mins.
- Pour in the wine. Bring to a simmer (don’t boil) for another 10 minutes. Turn off heat and add Troo Inulin Syrup to taste.
- Use a ladle to serve, straining out whole spices. Garnish each glass with a strip of zest, a cinnamon stick or both.
Please let us know if you try out any of these festive drink recipes by tagging us in your creations on socials, @eattroo, or emailing us at [email protected]!