Fibre-filled Vegan Chilli
A simple yet tasty store cupboard recipe that will have you well on your way to 30g fibre per day.
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tins beans (e.g. black beans and kidney beans)
- 3/4 cup bulgur wheat (swap this for quinoa to make it GF)
- 1 red pepper
- 1 brown onion
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 handful jalapenos (chopped)
- 2 tbsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Heat some oil in a pan, then add the onion, red pepper and jalapenos and cook until soft.
- Add the spice mix along with the chopped garlic and fry until fragrant.
- Add the bulgur wheat (or quinoa if you're making a GF chilli) and add all the chopped tomatoes
- Add two cups of water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add two cans of beans, give the chilli a stir and cook uncovered for a further 10 minutes.
- When you're happy with the consistency, serve the chilli up with some wholegrain rice and whatever toppings you can find in the fridge.
- This recipe should make 8 servings so you should get plenty of meals out of it. Portion it up and pop it in the fridge/freezer.